Saturday, January 6, 2007

Lessons in Leadership

The best lessons I've had in leadership have come from experiences in my mission and marriage. They sound like generic things, but they have both been powerful experiences that forced me to be a leader.

My mom has always been an incredible communicator, and I have learnded a lot through her patient example. Also, I am constantly amazed at the General Authorities and how they're able to teach the people of the world so effectively, which is no small task!

I've been part of countless organizations. First came family. Boy scouts, cub scouts, church, schools, choirs, service clubs, missions, Macey's food and drug, Shopko, Tom Addis Ford, BYU-Idaho Career Services and Human Resources, and now also my own family. The list is endless as we are always part of one organization or another.

My experiences in these have taught me to be a much better person. I've learned hard work and integrity, coupled with cheerfulness. Ultimately, my participation has taught me to be who I am today.

I believe that the traditional American hotdog is best when covered in ketchup, mustard, and sweet relish. There is nothing better that relish can be on. Now, if you add chilli and cheese and sour cream on top.... words can't describe what a beautiful thing that can be!

I have moved probably around 11 times since birth, excluding my mission. I was born in Blackfoot, and moved to Sandy and then Riverton, Utah. At the end of my junior year, my family moved to Coeur d'Alene, Idaho (no, I was not happy!). I now obviously live here in Rexburg where my wife and I go to school.

I am really proud of the changing table that I built for my wife for Christmas. I took her brother's old desk and totally refinished it, which I hadn't really done before. I never even really saw a baby changing table but knew what it was and went to work. It turned out great.

I am really interested in working for the church in some form or another. I would love to work here at BYU-Idaho (which is probably in part because I work for the Human Resource Dept.) I am interested in human resource management, and would like to learn more about exactly what organizational consulting really is.

As far as goals are concerned, for a short term goal I just want to get through my wife's pregnancy and still make it through school as well. I also want to be totally debt free within 3 years and be preparing to buy a house.

No comments: