Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Point

Wow, that sounds like a good movie title.
Never mind.

My wife was talking to me the other day, and mentioned she felt something was missing in our lives. Now, we are currently staying with my parents temporarily while our house is finished. My first thought was that yes, we are missing something: our own place to live!

Now and again, most people ask the question- what's missing in my life? It's very similar to another question- and often linked- am I missing the point?

I thought about that last night. My career isn't where I want it. My schooling isn't where I want it. Things just aren't working out like I had antipicated. So I ask, what's the point of all this? All the things I've wanted?

So I consider the things I'm working for. As I said, we're building a house, and that is a large part of my hopes and goals. I also would love a hot shot job for a big company. I want a boat. I want to go on vacations. I want to have time with my family. I want, I want, I want!

It's normal, even good, to want something better. If not so, we'd wallow in our sorry state and never progress. But as I look at this list, I realize how pathetic it is. My nice new house is not going to do me any good when I'm 6 feet under, nor is that boat or job.

So what on earth am I working towards in this life? If all those material things aren't lasting, what are the things that matter most?

Scores of conference talks and scriptures address this subject, so I won't even try to be an authority on it. But I will, however, share my feelings and take on it. What matters most is our relationships with others.

I love funerals. There, I said it. They have an incredible way of bringing you back down, putting you in your place and giving a clear perspective on life. And they motivate you to be someone better than you are.

In a book I recently read, it went in great detail to a young man's funeral after he took his own life. What impressed me was how no one spoke of his fancy job or car, or the sweet condo he had in San Francisco. Rather, they talked about personal interactions with him, and the effect of his influence.

This is what matters. Everyday relationships. The car, house, boat, job... mean nothing. But when I reach out and help mow a widow's lawn, or visit a friend who is sick, or  whatever else I may choose to do, I am suddenly doing something that will make a difference.

Would it be nice to have a boat? Sure. An expensive sports car would also be a dream come true. But the best place to be is using what we have been given to bless, lift and enrich the lives of others. I hope I can do better getting there.

No comments: